District of Columbia Department of Housing and Community Development
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of 393 color and black and white photographs of DC Housing and Community Development construction projects throughout the District. Most images are of street or infrastructure projects. Of note are images of L’Enfant Plaza, playgrounds, and recreation center projects. The collection is arranged by the Department of Housing and Community Development project number.
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1969 - 1983
There are no known restrictions.
The DC Department of Housing and Community Development was created in 1975 by the 1973 Reorganization Plan prepared by Mayor Walter Washington. The department was charged “to formulate, develop and recommend housing and community development policies, plans and programs, and the administration of laws pertaining to housing and community development.”
1.25 Linear feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
There is no deed of gift for this collection and it is uncertain how the Library acquired the collection.
Photographs were arranged by the project number assigned by the Department of Housing and Community Development and were individually sleeved and placed in acid-free folders. To limit the thickness of the folders, the folders were limited to 15-20 images per folder. Triplicate, or greater, copies of images were discarded.
- District of Columbia Department of Housing and Community Development Photograph Collection
- A Guide to the District of Columbia Department of Housing and Community Development Photograph Collection
- Compiled by Mark Greek, 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note