United Brick Company Photograph Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 85 4x6 inch and 3.5x5 inch color images of the abandoned United Brick Company buildings and kilns. The kilns are located on New York Avenue NE and are currently owned by the United States National Arboretum. All the images were taken around 1993 and show the vast vegetation overgrowth and dilapidation of the site.
- Creation: 1993
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
The United Brick Company built their kilns around 1909, and at its peak produced over 140,000 bricks a day. The brickyard made its last brick in 1972 and the site was abandoned. In 1977 the United States National Arboretum purchased the land. In October of 1978 the United Brick Corporation brick complex was added to the National Registry of Historic Places.
0.2 Linear feet
Processed at item level without series.
There is no deed of gift and it is uncertain as to how the Library acquired these photographs. Original housing for the photographs was in a “Bernard Johnson Incorporated” envelope, but there is no indication that they were the donor.
The images were removed from their original housing. Each image was assigned a number and placed in an individual polypropylene sleeve. The images were then placed in an acid-free folder and stored in an archival storage box for long-term storage.
- United Brick Company
- An inventory of the United Brick Company Photograph Collection at DC Public Library
- Finding aid prepared by Mark S. Greek.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note