Bethea-Welch VFW Post 7248 Ladies Auxiliary Records
Scope and Contents
The Bethea-Welch VFW Post 7248 Ladies Auxiliary Collection documents the day-to-day business of the club and contains lists of officers, events, meeting notes, minutes, and programs, printed materials, awards, and officer lists. Of particular note are photographs and scrapbooks documenting Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) events.
- Creation: 1914-2004
- Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States. Bethea Welch Post No. 7284. Ladies Auxiliary (Organization)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
Some material may be copyrighted or restricted. It is the patron's obligation to determine and satisfy copyright or other case restrictions when publishing or otherwise distributing materials found in the collections.
Biographical / Historical
The Bethea-Welch Ladies Auxiliary was founded May 12, 1948 to support the predominantly Black Bethea-Welch Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) post. In 1947, Rosaline Thompson met with Bethea-Welch Post Commander Albert T. Jones and the mothers, wives and daughters of veterans who served overseas to discuss creating a women's auxiliary. As with the veteran's post prior to its founding, there was not a VFW Ladies Auxiliary for Black women in D.C. at the time. With 16 charter members, the Ladies Auxiliary began working with war veterans, their families, area youth, local churches, and orphanages.
In the early 1950s, the women of Bethea-Welch were invited to join the Department of the District of Columbia Ladies Auxiliary and participate in national programs. Members conducted a variety of community services: collected toys for young children, visited local Veterans Administration (VA) hospitals, provided food relief to homeless families during the holiday season, provided books for veterans and children, and implemented programs at area churches. Some of the most popular programs included the “Book Shower'' for veterans, annual “Sweet Day” for children living in a local settlement house, Junior Girls for young women, and the Bethea-Welch marching band. Similar organizations benefited from the work of Bethea-Welch VFW; including the Girl Scouts, Children's Hospital, Police Boys and Girls Club, the House of Ruth and Walker Whitman Clinic, among others.
The Bethea-Welch Post 7284 Veterans of Foreign Wars Post was founded by David D. Dixon. At the time, there was not a VFW post for eligible Black veterans in Washington, D.C. After The post's name was chosen in memory of Sargent Bethea, who was killed in action during World War I, and Captain George A. Welch, who was killed in action during World War II.
23 Linear feet
Processed without series.
The colelction was donated to the Library in 2006 by Catherine Coleman.
Basic archival processing procedures were applied to the collection when it was processed.
- Bethea-Welch VFW Post 7248 Ladies Auxilliary
- An inventory of Bethea-Welch VFW Post 7248 Ladies Auxilliary at DC Public Library
- Finding aid prepared by DC Africana Archives Project.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 2020-10-21: Finding aid revised to be more evergreen.