Friendship Citizens Association Records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of correspondence, programs, newsletters, meeting minutes, resolutions, and other materials related to the Friendship Citizens Association of Washington, D.C. The construction of a new D.C. Public Library branch in the Tenley-Friendship neighborhood was of particular interest to the Association.
- Creation: 1944-1963
- Friendship Citizens Association (Organization)
Conditions Governing Use
No known restrictions.
Biographical / Historical
In 1892, a group of concerned Washington, D.C. residents joined together to form an organization that they felt would help meet the needs of Friendship Heights, Tenleytown, and other surrounding neighborhoods. Originally called the Northwest Suburban Citizens Association, the Friendship Citizens Association (FCA) sought to bring about new and improved fire stations, police departments, schools, and recreation areas in D.C., particularly in Northwest. It is not known exactly when the Association ceased to exist, though the most recent references to the organization in the Washington Evening Star and Washington Post are from the early to to mid-1980s.
In the late 1940s and early 1950s, the FCA was first among the District’s citizens groups to ask for a library in the Tenley-Friendship area. Though controversial, the city Commissioners decided to build the new library on the playground of the Janney School on Wisconsin Avenue.
0.5 Linear feet
Language of Materials
Processed without series.
Richard A. Williams, a former member of the Friendship Citizens Association, donated these materials to the Library in 1984.
Basic archival procedures were used at the time of processing.
- Friendship Citizens Association
- An inventory of Friendship Citizens Association at DC Public Library
- Finding aid prepared by Ryan P. Semmes.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note