District of Columbia Civil War Centennial Commission Records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains materials related to Commision planning and events; including correspondence, clippings, photographs, booklets, programs, and other memorabilia.
- Creation: 1907, 1958-1966
- District of Columbia Civil War Centennial Commission (Organization)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Use
No known restrictions.
Biographical / Historical
The District of Columbia Civil War Centennial Commission was part of the national effort to commemorate and celebrate the 100th anniversary of the American Civil War in 1961. Founded in 1959, the Commission sponsored events throughout D.C. until 1966.
1.5 Linear feet (2 document storage boxes, 1 legal slim document storage box, 1 flat box)
Colletion is arranged in 4 series. Series 1: Correspondence Series 2: Clippings Series 3: Ephemera Series 4: Photographs
The collection was donated by Paul J. Sedgwick, Chairman of the District of Columbia Civil War Centennial Commission.
Basic archival processing procedures were applied to the collection when it was processed.
- District of Columbia Civil War Centennial Commission Records
- An inventory of District of Columbia Civil War Centennial Commission Records at DC Public Library
- Finding aid prepared by DC Public Library.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 2019-09-23: Finding aid revised to be more evergreen.
- 2023-08-17: Revised barcode numbers and the box and folder list